Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Sleep is essential to maintain a well-balanced mind and healthy body. It allows your body to renew itself and aids in healing. Rest strengthens the immune system and can add years to your life. Generally, two hours sleep before midnight equals four hours after. These are more restorative hours of sleep. Usually, 7-8 hours of sleep a night is best for adults.
- Engage in active exercise daily. Walk, swim or work in the garden instead of watching TV.
- Take a warm bath (not hot) with some soft music playing and dim lights to relax body and mind.
- Have a warm drink. Avoid caffeine. It is a stimulant that commonly causes insomnia.
- Maintain a regular schedule for going to bed and getting up.
- An empty stomach promotes better sleep, eat your evening meal several hours before bedtime and make it the lightest meal.
- Try these simple exercises to help you relax: stretch, roll your neck in slow large circles, smile and hold it, frown and hold it, raise your eyebrows and hold it, take some deep breaths, relax.
- Don’t rehearse the day’s problems at bedtime. Count your blessings and fill your mind with gratitude and thanksgiving.
The Lord has encouraged us to work six days and rest the seventh - that is His plan for the proper balance between work and rest.
On the Seventh day, God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the Seventh day from all his work which he had made. God blessed the Seventh day and made it holy because he rested in it from all his work which he had created and made.